How to check for bed bugs
If you or your loved ones has some itchy bites present in clusters, You should start suspecting bed bugs:
- Bed bugs bites normally occur in clusters, anywhere on the body.
- About half of the people are insensitive to bedbug bites.
- Bites occur most often at night but start itching only several hours after the bloodmeal, possibly late in the afternoon.
Actually spotting bedbugs can be difficult as they are small (from 1 to 4 mm), walk relatively fast, and as flat as a credit card. They are most active late in the night.Do you know bed bug size?
How to check for bed bugs
The black dots are from bedbug poop, black from its dried blood. There are small white dots, which are bedbug eggs.
Don’t think every creature that you see on your bed of being a bedbug and every welt on your skin as their bite. Bedbugs are very unique. They are wingless and flat and very small. If the creature has wings, then it’s not a bedbug.
If you see the black dots and the eggs , you should probably find a new hotel room or get the number of a good, name-brand exterminator service. You have a small nightmare ahead of you.
Bed bugs have returned! And they have done it in search of the best and most innovative “restaurant” in the city … Do you know what it is? No, it is not DIVERXO of the chef Dabiz Muñoz, but you!
How can this be possible? Because bed bugs are very traveling (it is very easy for them to move in your luggage) and they love making new friends like you in these journeys.
In fact, hotels are one of the main sources of movement for these insects due to the daily movement of guests. We could say that they will move from one suitcase to another.
In the event that you find a hotel infested by bedbugs, there is a high probability that you will bring them back home with you.
But do not spread panic!
Mattress and bed frame
Bed bugs usually will live near their food sources. Thats why the beds always register a great activity on the part of these insects.
what do bed bugs look like on a mattress
- Check the headboard completely, looking carefully at any detail of its design. Separate the bed from the wall and look under and behind it.
- Check all crevices, joints,corners , carved elements or any other small crack or hole in the mattress.
- Check the bedding. This includes analyzing the pillows and duvet covers both inside and out, without forgetting the sheets. In addition, pay special attention to the seams.
Sofas, chairs and blankets
The Carbon dioxide you produce attracts bed bugs, so you can often see this type of plague hidden in places where there are high levels of interaction with humans, such as chairs or sofas.
How to check chairs,sofas and blankets for bed bugs:
- Take out the seat cushions and check both above and below them. Look for some sign of activity of these insects between cracks or joints.
- Take out the covers from the cushions and analyze the seams, corners and zippers.
Cabinets and baseboards
It is true that bed bugs tend to move in those areas near where their food source is located, this does not prevent them from exploring new places inside the room, such as cabinets.
How to check skirting boards and cabinets to see if there are bedbugs:
- Check the cabinets, drawers and other pieces of furniture in the room both on the back, above and below.
- Analyze the joints, handles and any groove, crack or crevices.
- Inspect the spaces between the walls and baseboards.
Furniture near the bed , like bedside tables, is also a main point for bed bugs.
How to check bedside tables for bed bugs:
- Check inside the drawers, especially along the joints and in the handles.
- Check back of the tables and also below.
- Analyze decorative elements, lamps and picture frames.
Luggage is one of the most favorite places for bed bugs. It is recommended that you leave it in the bathroom before starting to check the room. In this way, you completely eliminate the risk of unwanted stowaways.
How to check luggage for bed bugs:
- Check the straps around the suitcase
- Check the crevices and creases of each suitcase or travel bag
What to look for when you check the hotel room for bed bugs?
At the moment you have far idea where and how to detect the signs that indicate the presence of bed bugs in the hotel room, but … what should you look for?
- Live bugs: these insects are flat,small and oval in shape. They have six legs and two antennae, and their color is a reddish brown. In its adult stage its size is around 5 or 6 millimeters.
- Blood specks: When the bed bugs have been crushed after a good feast and look like small red spots, due to the blood they have ingested.
- Dark spots: It comes from the dark liquid that they excrete after feeding.
- Skin shedding: bugs shed their skin in order to continue their process of development and growth until they reach the mature stage. these skins is a sign that there is an infestation.
- Eggs: Bed bugs can lay eggs between 200 and 500 anywhere in a period of two months, and usually in “lots” of 10 in 10. Bedbug eggs normally have a size of one millimeter and one color pearly white